Monday, April 19, 2010

Failure at Fostering


One day, nearly four years ago, I got a call from the MSPCA in Boston. A six month old, tri-colored, female puppy had been surrendered. Her name was Zoe and it was reported that she had been aggressive with the other dog in the home. The MSPCA confirmed that, saying Zoe had failed their temperament test and could I come pick her up. I asked if they could send her to Nevins Farm, their Methuen, MA location, as it's only 15 minutes from my house.

My daughter, Shelley, my friend, Rhonda and her daughter, Shelby, and I went to pick Zoe up. I think we all fell in love with Zoe when a staff member brought her out. Zoe was all wiggles and wags and ready to give kisses to everyone. OK; definitely not aggressive with people. We'll see what happens when we get home...
Of course, on the ride home, Shelley and Shelby kept insisting we should adopt her. I was firm, I'M DONE WITH PUPPIES. I was adamant, NO MORE PUPPIES!



Introductions went smoothly when we got home. Zoe bonded instantly with Jazzie and Flippie (schipperke) was like "...whatever; just don't forget to call me in for dinner. I'm going hunting now." By now, daughter Bridgette was home, in love and chimed in with the others in favor of adoption. NO! NO MORE PUPPIES! But I have to admit, I was smitten the instant I laid eyes on her. Couldn't let them know that, though!


Zoe needed to be spayed and we were going to the beach on vacation for a week. It was all arranged. In the pre-surgery bloodwork, a red flag came up with her liver function. She could have the surgery, but her liver would need to be monitored. On the one hand, I was concerned for this sweet little girl's health. What does this mean for her future? On the other hand, it gave me an excuse to hang on to her. I "needed" to see this through before posting her to the website. As it turned out, the reason her liver values were off was because they were compared to what they should be for an adult dog, not a puppy. Whew! I milked the "excuse" for as long as possible and at Christmas, I let the kids know we had adopted her.


(The reason she i called Whisltin' Dixie.)
Meanwhile, we had been trying out new names for Zoe. I wanted something cute and befitting of her; there just seemed to be so many Zoe's. Well, in the house training/crate training process, she had such a high pitched, whistle of a scream when crated we ended up naming her Whistlin' Dixie. She shattered a pane of glass in one of the French doors going into the dining room.


(Dixie is never far from Jazzie.)

(Dixie does the dishes.)

(2008 Convention, Lexington, VA)


(Meet the Breed event, Especially for Pets Store in Sudbury, MA. Shelby & Misty on L, Bridgette & Dixie on R)
Dixie has accompanied me to the last two Conventions and will accompany me this year, as well. She has come on numerous home visits and been a wonderful basenji ambassador at local Pet Adoption Days and Meet the Breed events we have attended.

(At the beach.)

(Dixie goes big game(woodchuck) hunting.)


The goal of fostering is to provide a home life, love, care, training for a dog in need of a new home. Many people don't foster because they don't think they will be able to let the dog go. I have fostered about 25 basenjis (some short-term and many long-term) over the last 4-5 years. Many have tugged at my heart strings, but I managed to override those feelings with my desire to continue to help homeless basenjis. It's a wonderful thing to be a part of the "matchmaker" process, finding the perfect home for a basenji in need.

Consider becoming a foster home; it's extremely rewarding. There is the danger of falling in love, like I did and that's OK. Just be sure you are able to continue to foster if you adopt. Be aware of any limitations in your town/city as to the number of dogs you can have.











1 comment:

  1. She is so beautiful...you are very blessed. My Zeke does the dishes too. Did she ever get "crate trained" ??

    ReplyDelete