Monday, October 12, 2009

Do You Tattoo?





Tattoos seem to be a divisive topic in general among those love them and those who would never get one themselves. In the dog world, I have only ever met one dog with a tattoo. In the human world, I have met many people with tattoos. Some of the most interesting tattoos to me are ones commemorating beloved pets.












First, the humans:


For as many animal tattoos as I've seen, I am always excited when I see one commemorating a basenji. I have no tattoos myself and have spent my life saying "there is nothing I could ever want on my body permanently." However, the more and more time I spend with my pets, the more I can see why people decide to add a little art to their skin to permanently remind them of the pets they've loved - or more importantly, who've loved them, unconditinally. I'm sure many of you have seen this video, but it definitely speaks to how important our pets are to us. . .





Now, for the dogs:

Nearly every time I meet someone new when I’m with my Kirby boy, I hear “is that a tattoo?” in an incredulous tone. The answer is of course, yes – my basenji has a tattoo. I am always tempted to say it’s a biker tattoo, or a heart with mom in it (which I’m sure is exactly what he’d get if he had any say in the matter!), or even a fun tattoo that said “I love bitches”. . .but alas, it is actually a tattoo of his AKC registration number. Kirby came to me as a nearly 6 month old pup who had just been neutered – and at the same time, while still under anesthesia, he was tattooed by the vet.



Similar to a micro chip, it’s another way to identify your animal if it were ever lost. The hope is that someone who finds the lost pet would know to look up ownership or call AKC for contact information on the dog. At the time, I had no idea that dogs were ever tattooed – and I’m not sure I would have ever thought to do it. However, I think it’s a good idea (for a dog who will be under anesthesia anyway – not as a separate event) and Kirby never seemed to notice it.

I think someday I will get a tattoo for my beloved pets – perhaps a simple pawprint or an initial with a date. Because I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to needles, I am not sure how long it will take – but if Kirby was brave enough to have one as a puppy, then I hope my adult self can endure the brief pain for a lasting memory of my “kid”

28 comments:

  1. I've thought about a basenji tattoo of somesort. Abu has an "S" tat in her right ear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boy has a tattoo also; I have thought about getting it redone because it is not the best and it is for his foreign registration. And then adding his his AKC number.

    Your vet did a wonderful job on the tattoo, it is very clear and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want a basenji tattoo for my collection. Just have to find the right picture and artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellie has her AKC number tattooed on her, too. She's nearly 14 and it's distorted somewhat with time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Njeri has a tattoo. When I got her from BRAT 10 yrs ago she already had it. It looks like the female sigh, cross and circle, except the circle has a star in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Njeri has the same marking and the same name. I also got her from BRAT 10+ yrs ago..Interesting facts..

      Delete
    2. Sparky had a tattoo when he came to us through the Broward County Humane Society. He also has a tag on his collar that says "I have a tattoo" with the shelter's contact info. With him being an escape artist I figured that we would cover all of our bases; he has a tattoo, a microchip and tags.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, I have Kirby's brother Kiefer! When I saw Kirby's tattoo I thought Kiefer was his brother because their tattoos are done so well and are so unique. As soon as I saw Kirby's picture, I rolled Kiefer over to look at his AKC number to see if they were related and they are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have been waiting for the right travel social media guide then you do not have to wait any longer. In fact, you can organize a successful trip using the travel social media guide in detail below. First things first, employ a combination of the top social networks in addition to popular media sharing sites. In no time flat, you can quickly and easily put social media to work for you while on vacation. great ideas for getting started

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for blogging and i enjoy the blog posting so no public comments.,,,,,,,,,,, how rivers change over time

    ReplyDelete
  9. y it's very nature, travel undeniably impacts on the environment and the people and cultures who are part of the travel process. You can't get from one side of the world to the other without leaving some form of footprint and so as responsible global citizens, there is plenty of room for us to learn how to travel "lighter" and minimise our global footprint. There are loads of buzzwords being thrown around on this topic - from eco travel to green travel and responsible travel to sustainable travel - but what travellers really want to know is how can we implement simple but effective changes to the way we travel in order to really make a difference. We hear you! That's why we have come up with this list of things you can do to start travelling lightly. virtual museum for kids

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is my first visit to your blog, and I am very impressed with the articles that you serve. Give adequate knowledge for me. Thank you for sharing useful material. I will be back for the more great post. şehirler arası nakliye

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those looking for the thrill of attending the Olympic Games, finding the best Olympics travel deals is most likely a major consideration. Travelling to the Olympics is similar to travelling to any popular destination, in that it requires a significant amount of planning to make the most of it. سفينة

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every question related to solo female travel safety will never receive a full, encompassing and concrete answer; there are just too many variables. These ever changing factors are also what make traveling so exciting. You never know what to expect. Therefore it is important to prepare for aspects we can control, especially as a female traveling alone this page

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every question related to solo female travel safety will never receive a full, encompassing and concrete answer; there are just too many variables. These ever changing factors are also what make traveling so exciting. You never know what to expect. Therefore it is important to prepare for aspects we can control, especially as a female traveling alone Taxi from Gent to the Airport

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's vacation time already and you are still undecided about your destination. More and more people are now looking to go to exotic and adventurous tourist spots. International travel numbers for 2012 have already hit one billion. Day Trip from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the post and great tips: even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success. Packers and Movers Chandigarh to Gurgaon

    ReplyDelete
  16. You shared amazing article. From last year ago I was subscribe your website. Its amazing keep it up. Chekout my it will be beneficial for your website
    picuki

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many people doubt the need for getting a property valued. But, recent real estate statistics in India prove beyond doubt that property valuations have taken a turn for the better. Valuation companies in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice post I Like it,
    This is very HelpFul for me.
    Visit my Site free classified website pakistan

    ReplyDelete
  19. The best way to pay bills online for free is probably your bank or credit union. If you have a checking account, it's likely that your financial institution offers online bill pay as a free service. Paying from your bank means that your bank initiates the money transfer.

    ReplyDelete