Monday, March 29, 2010

Vegetarian Basenjis?

There is always something new when you own a Basenji. As most Basenji owners will tell you, Bs have a varied palate when it comes to food – they will eat anything dead or alive, organic or inorganic. I have a veggie garden that is fenced so I can keep out the critters and keep my Bs in without having to keep an eye on them. Last Spring I had planted several rows of lettuce and other veggies in my garden. One morning I was in the garden with the fur kids and as I was planting some tomatoes I looked up to see what my dogs were up to. My little B girl Mizzie was pawing at the ground digging up grubs and promptly eating them while my other B boy Mookie was eating all my lettuce. He had eaten most of the green lettuce and I guess didn’t like the red because you could see bite marks in it. And I was worried about the bunnies eating my lettuce ~ what was I thinking? So much for my fence to keep out the various woodland creatures that like to eat my garden!


Mookie is the vegetarian in the family, preferring lettuce, raw potatoes, carrots, etc, and does not tend to eat bugs. He will occasionally get a lady bug and hold it in his teeth while he shakes it, and then spits it out. It is quite comical to watch when he does this. Mizzie on the other hand loves to eat ladybugs and any small flying, walking, crawling creature she can get and will turn her nose up to raw veggies.


Needless to say I now have to have another fence around my lettuce to keep Mookie from eating it. On the other hand I don’t care if Mizzie eats the grubs!

~Denise Cooper

1 comment:

  1. Eew, grubs! Can I borrow Mizzie for a while this summer? You'll have to plant a row of lettuce for Mookie's very own.

    (My Ruby is a veggie eater, too - she loves green beans, beets, broccoli and corn - but she never bothers them growing in the garden. Apparently the garden is just for sunbathing.)

    ReplyDelete