Sunday, March 28, 2010

Update on Tigger and Arrow



I brought Tigger home in early September. As I posted on this blog, I had hoped that my 11 year old basenji, Arrow, would accept her as a buddy.

Things didn't work out well at first. For the first few weeks, Arrow tried to kill her every chance he got. I posted Tigger for adoption but didn't find the right home.

After a month or so, Arrow finally seemed to accept her in the house--although he refused to play with her. I wrote about Tigger and Arrow here.


Fast forward a few months and I am very pleased to report that Arrow has decided that Tigger is a pretty fun playmate. Now, the two of them race around the house all the time, wrestling and playing. Arrow is still very dominant in their play--he will chase her but won't let her chase him. And he will wrestle her to the ground but never loses HIS footing.

Still, they are doing better than I ever expected. BRAT tells new adopters to expect it to take up to three months for a new dog to adapt--but I have learned that it can up to SEVEN months for a resident dog to adapt to a new arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment