Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Off the Table


Definitely falling into the category of "I love my basenjis, but..." is my boy Shaka's habit of table jumping, the dining table to be specific.  He knows better than to jump when a meal is being served, but when he has come in excited from a walk or thinks he might see something interesting out the back window it's a different story.  It started a couple of weeks after he arrived, and then when I moved a couple of chairs nearby that he used as a launching pad, things improved.

But the past six months he has been back to the old bad habit.  I've read about a number of preventatives including mouse traps (which I refused to try, having read horror stories of tongues caught in them) and spray water bottles (not very pleasant, and not effective with my two).  We got for a few weeks without an incident, and then it starts up again.  I haven't given up on it, and I know that life with a basenji is always about trying to outsmart them.  But Shaka is currently in the winning column for this game.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, he certainly has turned out to be a good looking boy! I got my B-girl as a rehome at 10 months old and she does the same thing. She wants to catch the sun up there and see into the backyard, I took away her launching chairs as well but now she just hops from floor to the table, so sadly I have given up. We live rural and don't have many dinner guests so if I need to use the table I disinfect it using bleach water, like Shaka she does not go on the table if we are using it. I grew up with cats on the counter tops because otherwise the dogs would eat their food so maybe I tolerate it better, but I don't like it (been about 40 years since I have had cats)

    ReplyDelete