Tuesday, September 4, 2012

What's in a Name?

Have you ever wondered where some of those crazy-long dog names come from, that you see attached to dogs prancing around in dog shows?  I know I always do, because I can't imagine how a cute and innocent-looking pup came to be saddled with a name like "Champion-Sir-Lord-Jumping-Jack-Over-the-Hill" or something crazy like that.  Okay, that might be an exaggeration.... but  you get the idea.

While I still don't know how formal dog names are devised (there actually IS a formula, so I'm told, that real dog breeders and fanciers understand perfectly because it shows the name of the dog's sire), I do have a fun little infographic from our friends at the Pet 365 Blog, which could help explain how informal dog names like "Scruffy" are devised.  Check it out!

Dog Names
Dog names graphic produced by Matt Beswick for Pet365. Click here to view the full post.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta wonder about George Washington's dogs. Sweetlips - seriously?! ;)

    ReplyDelete