Monday, June 7, 2010

Update on Tigger and Arrow



I wanted to post a short update about my basenjis, Tigger and Arrow.

I adopted Tigger as a seven month old pup back in September. My plan was that she could be a friend for 11 year Arrow--who had gotten pretty sedentary since his basenji friends, Basil and Flash, had crossed the bridge.

It took many months before Arrow fully accepted Tigger as his buddy. For the first five weeks, he tried to kill her every chance he could get. I don't think Arrow was interested in changing his routine.

It took a lot of work but they have now settled into a good routine. I can leave them alone together during the day. They wrestle and play and at least once a day they will run the Basenji 500 through the back yard. Tigger always takes the lead and Arrow always catches her.

Last week, they discovered a frog in the yard. It was amusing to watch them. They didn't try to eat the frog--but they would turns poking the frog to get him to jump around. I lured them into the house with the treat and closed off the dog door so the frog could find his way back to the pond.

Tigger is a very diligent hunter of squirrels--although she hasn't caught any yet. (Thank goodness!). Arrow has lost a few pounds and seems more lively since Tigger came into his life. I have included a photo of the two of them as well as one of Tigger stalking her prey.

If you have an older basenji, consider bringing a younger playmate into his or her life. We have lots of older basenjis available for adoption on the BRAT website.

No comments:

Post a Comment