Friday, April 2, 2010

Paper shredding as an art

Among Ivan’s many quirks is his insatiable interest in paper – eating it, not reading it. We have baby gates in front of our bookcases. This has progressed from a baby gate in front of the bookcase he most frequently visited to baby gates in front of all the book cases within his reach. We’ve learned that we must weight the baby gates with chairs and small tables so he doesn’t push them aside to get to the books. Some people are astonished that Ivan pulls books off the shelf to destroy. That’s a given. Magazines are not allowed to linger. We either read them or recycle them. They can spend a day or two stacked on a high shelf, but then they must go.

We’ve become quite knowledgeable about the inside of book bindings because we’ve seen the internal components shredded and strewn multiple times. This is not a mere tearing of the cover of a paperback, this is general annihilation of the hard back binding, the pages, the entire physical item. I took a couple of Ivan’s victims to a book repair workshop, mainly for entertainment. The gentleman running the workshop was quite confident that nearly any book could be repaired, until I began pulling the chewed remnants from a bag. “What kind of dog do you have?” he gasped when he saw the destruction. I proudly showed a photo of my handsome boy. There was much disbelief that this small sleek boy could cause so much devastation. I think the other participants were expecting something more along the lines of a large hairy beast with protruding fangs and talons.
Upon viewing photos of Ivan’s handwork, one friend astutely remarked, “So angelic one moment, and so destructive the next!” That’s a perfect description of Ivan. People think he looks so adorable (and he does), but when we tell them about a few of the items on the destruction list, they begin to look shell-shocked. The baby gate story weeds out a lot of people who think having a basenji might be nice, until they hear about the special shredding talents.

10 comments:

  1. I was not stunned or shocked, nor did I even raise an eyebrow reading your entertaining story because I have my own shredder B-boy and I must say he and all the basenji's I read about totally amuse me everyday. They most certainly are not boring dogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have a basenji shredder. Cash or trash, he makes no distinction. He prefers paper towels but leaves the toilet paper alone. He consumes most paper he favors. My dad thinks he likes to poop and clean is butt all at once. He has never gone after a book but in his more devilish moments he has grabbed a magazine and taken off. A couple of weeks ago he refused to be ignored when I was working on a tile project and shredded a wad of cash I left on my dresser. He somehow stretched his body from the bed to the dresser to retrieve it. I should be able to save all but one $10 bill. Funny, but he went for the faces first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a beautiful Basenji Girl who took up the linoleum in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our b's used to be awful with paper, but its slowed down as they have gotten older.
    There is hope for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I call it "Chapter 5 Syndrome." I can start a book, put it aside but the major components get the destroy/shred effect if I am not vigilant on where I place the book.
    At my house, the TV remote is the ultimate prize. The greeters at Best Buy just nod and say hello but they know I am there to replace a mauled remote most days. Gibby prefers Spanish audio and if I leave the remote unattended he will do his best effort to surf the channels.
    It is what it is right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. besenji=paper destruction, enough said!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My First Basenji Cairo was so masterful at shredding. His favorite was business cards. It never ceased to amaze me how he could shred a business card into smaller pieces than a professional shredding machine. His most amzaing feet was a hard cover book. Pages, binding and hard cover were in such tiny pieces it looked like they went thru a shredding machine. We came home to paper snow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only my male B is a shredder. The girls, not so much, more interested in trash than paper. Could it be they are brighter than the male?hhhhmmmmmmm
    Although he has gotten better about shredding paper as he has matured, now the prize are sheets and or pillow cases, only when they are attached to my bed. We go through a set a month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this solves the eternal problem of having too many books pile up in the house, and the guilt that goes with tossing them out if we can't find new homes for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those books look pitiful! And I think you don’t have to worry about shredding some documents. You got Ivan to do it for you! Haha! Anyway, I guess you should safeguard him from his favorite “routine”, it can be harmful to his health if it wasn’t controlled.

    Ruby @WilliamsDataManagement.com

    ReplyDelete