Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tales of a Sunday Night with Basenjis

For anyone wondering what life with basenjis is REALLY like (and for all those who already know, and will appreciate this), I decided to write a play-by-play of a typical evening with my basenjis. This is a Sunday night, as it actually happened:

11:00pm - After a busy day at the inlaws' house, then walking dogs, playing with dogs, cleaning house, and prepping for work tomorrow, it is FINALLY time to curl up under a blanket on the couch in the living room. I'm going to try and finish the really good book I've been reading all week.

11:01pm - Reef (4yo female basenji) gets a bone out of the toy basket. Biko (4yo male basenji) immediately steals the bone and starts to gnaw it. Reef steals bone back and makes a break for the dining room with it. This starts the B500 around the living room and dining room table. Both dogs use couches as a backboard to bank turns.

11:02pm - All couch pillows now on floor. I get up to put them back, while dogs play chicken with each other on the arms of the couches. B500 again, pillows on floor. Reef tries to eat pillow, wrings it around. I tell her "No!" Biko grabs different pillow and drags it to dining room. I tell him "No!" and trade pillows for toys. Dogs play tug-of-war with toys and wrestle with each other.

11:10pm - Reef tries to get away from Biko, jumps on top of loveseat. Decides to eat blanket on top of loveseat. I tell her "No!" so she grabs a pillow again and tries to eat it. I get up and retrieve the pillow from her. She thinks I want to play, and runs a few laps around living room. Biko chases. Both dogs crash into entertainment center.

11:17pm - Reef plays chicken from the dining room. Biko hunts her from the living room. Biko crouches down, ready to pounce. Reef tries to crawl under a dining room chair. Bik o grabs her by her scruff and drags her out sideways. Reef goes ballistic and runs several laps around the dining room table. Reef hides under dining room table. Biko stalks her. While hiding, Reef decides to try and eat a chair leg. I give a stern "No!" Reef decides to try and eat a chair seat. "No!" Reef tries to sneak out from under the table. Biko sees her and pounces. In her frenzy, Reef grabs the edge of the dining room tablecloth and yanks it, knocking over two glass candlesticks on table. I leap up and yell "NO!!" Reef clearly thinks this is funny, and runs like crazy.

11:20pm - I command the dogs to separate couches to lay down and be calm for a while. Miraculously, they listen to me. For about 10 seconds. A car pulls up in a neighbor's driveway, so both dogs run like mad to the window. On the way back, Reef chases her tail. Biko chases Reef. Reef jumps on couch and starts to dig. I give the command "No dig!" and she stops. She bucks around on the couch for awhile, intentionally knocking each pillow to the floor, even the huge couch-back pillows. Gets bored, goes over to Biko and paws and bows at him until he jumps up and chases her again.

11:33pm - Reef finds toy, eats it while Biko tries to wrestle with her. Reef gets her blue rubber ball out of toy basket. Both dogs chase it until they lose it under a couch.& nbsp; Biko wrestles Reef onto her back. Reef, still on her back, finds toy and eats it, while Biko wrestles her. Reef gets another toy out of toy basket. Biko steals it. Reef gets another toy. Biko steals it. Reef gets stuffed Piglet toy out of toy basket, and eats both of Piglet's ears off (she already destuffed Pooh yesterday). I rescue Piglet before he loses a leg, and put him on the coffee table. Reef steals Piglet from coffee table and takes off with him for several laps around the dining room table.

11:35pm - Trade Piglet for a bone. Reef eats bone, gets bored. Tries stealing my pen from the coffee table. I command her "Off!" She sulks off to her toy basket, and starts eating that instead. Not the toys, the actual basket.

11:38pm - Biko gets red squishy ball out of toy basket. Reef steals it and rips it to shreds. I get up and clean up ball fragments. Biko gets squeaky rubber ball out of toy basket, but loses it under the couch. Digs at couch until I get it for him. Immediately loses it again. I decide I give up on reading my book.

11:42pm - All toys are now out of the toy basket. Reef finds a golf ball my husband putted into a corner. Eats golf ball. I don't really care anymore, so I let her have it as long as she's not swallowing the pieces. Dogs wrestle and run some more. Try to eat pillows again. I get up and put the pillows on top of the TV.

11:53pm - The living room looks like a war zone. The dogs finally get tired of trying to eat each other, and plop down on the couch on either side of me. Biko tries his best to squeeze between my body and the back of the couch. I give him a blanket instead, and he burrows into that. Reef puts her head in my lap and looks up at me. I can't help but love them. I finally finish my book.

2 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard when I read this. We have three B's who are just as fun as yours:)and love to wrestle right before we say "nite nite time" and a fury of running begins and our couch has seen better days:)but I wouldn't change a thing, they keep me on my toes and I never have to worry about dusting any knick knacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of the garbage lid around your senji's neck! Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete