Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Precious Little Boy, Ares

I got Ares in 1998. Every dog that I had had up to that point always wanted to stay upstairs with my mom. Mom liked game shows and I liked shows like Xena, so Mom mostly watched TV upstairs and I hung out downstairs in the rec room. I had another Basenji at that time named Missy, and she loved to stay upstairs with Mom. However, ever since I brought Ares home, he wanted to be where ever I was. If I didn't bring him downstairs with me he would stand at the top of the stairs and cry, at least till he was big enough and brave enough to come down the stairs himself. I had to put a doggie bed under my desk so he could sleep there when I was on the computer. He slept with me, too - he basically was my shadow.

I have had many dogs over the years, and always 3 basenjis total. First was Missy, then I got my boy Ares, then I got my second boy Raven after Missy crossed the Bridge. With the two boys ruling the house, I figured I needed a girl to keep them in line so I got Aurora. After Raven passed from cancer I got my third boy Loki, and he lives up to his name as the Norse God of Mischief. Ares was the boss of this little pack (after me). Me and my little pack would do the SPCA Paws for Cause walk every year and Ares was always on high alert in case any other dog got too aggresive, but nothing ever happened.

Ares crossed the bridge the Friday before Christmas this year. I got home from work and he had passed in his sleep. At least he had the other two puppies with him. I
felt guilty for not being there, since I had wondered just the day before if it was finally his time. But Ares being Ares took that decision out of my hands.

I have had numerous pets and I try to help animals where ever I can, so I will have lots of friends to meet me when I cross the bridge. But I know that at the head of the line will be Ares.

May Smith

1 comment:

  1. May, my condolensces. I just lost our Mr. Calvin before Christmas. It's so hard. You gave him a wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete