Friday, January 22, 2010

Basenjis and Manx Cats

We have Manx cats and they have been a part of our household for as many years as we have had Basenjis. I think it has been around 35 years now. Funny how time goes by so quickly.


The interesting thing about the Manx cat is it is quite dog-like, while the Basenji is quite cat-like. They are both clean and love to play, and are always investigating.


Not all our Manx have been friends with our Basenjis and not all our Basenjis have been friends with our Manx. Both are intelligent enough to know when to leave each other alone, usually.


Our Manx have been quite fond of sleeping with some of our Basenjis. Wrestling matches do occur sometimes. The cats usually start a chase ....


Gumbo has been known to drag 3 particular cats around by the neck. The cats simply go limp and then walk off when he gets tired of the game.


Some of our Manx will not put up with any type of chasing or dragging at all. Gumbo knows the difference and respects the uplifted paw, generally with claws in, of the Manx. They are often too gentle with him.

-Marj Baker

3 comments:

  1. More than once I have thought Manx cats would be a good mix with basenjis. We had a couple when I was a kid, and I see so many Manx qualities in my basenji girl. In fact, our British trainer always greets her with "Hello, Manxi!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Pics... They brought a smile to my face on a LATE FRIDAY afternoon...
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I adopted an adult manx kitty (she was also deaf) and she ruled the roost by putting my two Bs in their places. And they left her alone too. I guess they balance it other quite well.

    ReplyDelete