Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bandit and the SWAT Team

Bandit was the last pup left in Rappin’s litter. I don’t know what I was thinking when I sent her off to be spayed and left Bandit alone in the backyard while I went to work. He was about 8 months old. When I arrived home from work that evening my neighbor came over to tell me that something had happened with “the dog” that day. I knew he was safe because he was standing at my feet when I met her at the door. I thought maybe he got out and killed a cat or some other little critter.

She proceeded to tell me the following story.

Bandit was howling and moaning because he was all alone. The neighbors (others … she was at work), called the police because they thought someone was injured. Police came out, walked around the house but only found this little red and white dog in the back. They went back out front and the moaning started again. Again, they check out the backyard, and the moaning stopped. They finally reached the conclusion that someone was being held hostage in her unit and called for the SWAT team.

While waiting for the SWAT team to arrive, they went around the neighborhood and told the other neighbors to either leave, or lay down on the floor in the back of their houses. (I heard this from another neighbor!)

SWAT team arrived. Bullhorn announcements informed the “Kidnappers” that they were surrounded and they should come out with their hands in the air. Of course, by this time all the commotion was interesting and Bandit shut up. Finally, no response from the “kidnappers” or the hostage, police broke down my neighbor’s front door to find a completely empty house!

At this point they called her and she explained it was the dog. They didn’t believe her at first, but she finally convinced them.

Now, how do you stand in front of someone and listen to that story and try to appear appropriately contrite about the inconvenience and damage to the door? I don’t know how I did it … but I didn’t crack a smile … until later!

Rappin, Bandit, and I were sitting on the front porch on the following Saturday and several neighbors dropped by to tell us what an exciting event that was!! Thankfully, they all thought it was pretty funny!

-Jackie Iddings (via the BRAT-Chat list)

No comments:

Post a Comment