Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Chewing Deterrents

Recently, I was reading some member posts on the BRAT Facebook Page, and someone suggested that if you spray Arrid Extra Dry deodorant (the spray kind) on something, it would deter a dog from chewing on it.  I've tried several solutions like this in the past, including sour apple spray, citronella spray, and some others I can't even remember anymore, but none of them have yet worked.  However, I do still harbor hope that one day I will be able to leave my house without gating off every possible chewable surface... which is maybe a silly dream for a basenji owner, but I have high hopes. 

Anyhow, I dutifully went to the store and bought Arrid Extra Dry spray deodorant, sprayed it on a chair cushion in my kitchen (which normally I would have to take up every single time I leave my house), and left the cushion to the wolves (basenjis) for a few hours while I was out.  Anxiously, I came home and entered the kitchen, not knowing what I would find....

Fail.  The little stinkers chewed the chair cushion anyway!  At least it wasn't an epic fail -- they didn't completely annihilate the chair cushion, just merely gnawed on the edges of it -- but the part where they gnawed was the exact part that I had sprayed the deodorant on, knowing that that is the part they like to chew.  So, for now, I guess it's back to the drawing board on chewing deterrents -- and back to taking up all of the chair pillows and cushions, and throw rugs, and rawhides, and dog bowls, and putting up gates in four rooms... every single time I leave the house.  Sigh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment