Thursday, March 14, 2013

Has it really been a year?

Recently I took in a female foster and it occurred to me that my newest BRAT adoptee, Macy, has been with me almost a year.  I cannot believe I adopted her last May!  She was underweight, having just had a litter of puppies whose whereabouts were unknown.  She was found in a shed in an abandoned house and was extremely shy, but well behaved.  From the moment I laid eyes on her, I knew she would be a Failed Foster...my second.  She was a true blessing as she came toward the end of my first Failed Foster's life...sweet Roxy who succumbed to heart failure a few months later.

Like many fosters, Macy is still unsure, still learning that she is completely safe in our family.  My boy B, Iggy, took to her immediately but she is still quite reserved.  The playful, young, new foster has been unnerving to her, as if she is unsure of her place now. It makes me a little sad.  Macy has treated the foster well, but is withdrawn.  I do my best to reassure her.

The foster will find a wonderful forever home in a few weeks...already too many applications to count.  Macy will be the queen bee soon enough.  But this minor blip in our routine reminds me of how long it takes some of our babies to adjust to "safe and loved forever."  She's not there yet.  She'll soon come to know that my house is her house...and my heart is hers forever and ever.

2 comments:

  1. Macy's sweet, beautiful face remind me very much of my Audrey who came as a foster two years ago. I had no medical history for her but knew she had recently had puppies, some of whom I know will come into BRAT at some point. She was so frightened of me and everything for close to six months. It took her a while, but today she is the most affectionate dog I have ever known. The highlight of my day is when I walk in the door and she is wagging her tail and wraps her front legs around me in a "hug". She still is afraid of many things, but has so much trust and love for me.

    Thank you for sticking with Macy and making her feel like queen of her world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my Nayru 2 years last October. She is just now showing signs of being secure and is now sitting in laps and pawing at us for attention. She is a joy even if part of her new comfort is that she now feels okay about snarking over bed space. LOL

    ReplyDelete