Monday, January 21, 2013

The Debt

The transition from life to death is seldom gentle or swift. When a loved one goes, well, wherever it is they go -- the memory of the passing leaves a wound. An open wound, a ragged, hungry mouth that devours joy. Smoke's passing was neither swift nor gentle. Fanconi and its attendant complications are merciless and slow. My beloved companion of 16 years lay helpless and in pain, yet she loved life, and had crawled from the cruel precipice of death more times than even any cat has lives.


Smoke in happier days - still spry, yet so old she is grey as her namesake


It would be so easy if they could tell us what they want, but they cannot. Far too often, the joy of their companionship ends with the bitter decision of what we hope is mercy. And so, the wound is salted.

Days and days beside her in the ICU. That final, horrible decision. The gentle soul that deserved a better end. It took a special dog to heal such a wound.

Nailah. That special dog. I don't know how I knew from just a picture, but I knew. Perhaps the guiding nudge of a ghostly, grey muzzle, a gentle soul delivered from pain, and offering the same to the ones she left behind. If it were possible, I know Smoke would.

Listen... I know what you need...


So, what do I owe this special dog, who licked closed this wound, whose capering and wild ululations of joy bring laughter to this household every hour of every day? A warm hearth against a cold, winter's day...



(Click to enlarge)


Playtime. Lots and lots of playtime.

(click to enlarge)

And a vote, every day, for the organization who brought us together. Vote for BRaT. Please. If we win (and currently, we've slipped greatly in the voting), the funds will help basenjis just like Nailah be united with the folks who need them, just like me. Our volunteers already do so much, let's get them some funds to ease the burden a bit, shall we? Nailah and I thank you. I'll bet Smoke would, too. I love you, girl. Always.

PS: If you have more than one person in your household that would like to vote, remember that you can use your cellphone (3 or 4G setting) to allow them to vote as well. That's how my husband and I each get a vote.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. We had to help our oldest basenji to the bridge in December share your pain of loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My deepest sympathies for your loss, Liz. May you find comfort in those others who share your home.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, it is a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Basenjipack. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  3. You have a wonderful way with words. No doubt you have a wonderful way with Basenjis, too! Nailah is Smoke's worthy successor; happiness to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chey. As I'm sure you learned from your beautiful Ruby, basenjis are amazing dogs, and the reward is great for those willing to endure the antics that their boundless energy and incomparable intellect permit.

      Delete
  4. Kayne, I just brought my best friend "Rain" of 15 years to his rest yesterday. I am so heartbroken and lost. Your words helped greatly. Thank you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for your loss, Cruise Addict. Fifteen years is a long time for a dog, and you must have loved and cared for Rain well. Kind thoughts and a gentle hug to you.

      Delete