Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The miracle of time








Roxy has been in my home 2 1/2 years now. I believed after we got her through heartworms and I failed Fostering 101 and subsequently adopted her, that her sweet personality, shyness and overwhelming desire to please would be the dog who would live forever in my home. She didn't exhibit many basenji idiosyncracies. She was just a great older dog.




Time will tell; and I am amazed how each month, she becomes more basenji, continuing to reveal to me who she really is. She must have had a really tough life before finding her way to BRAT, because she is still skittish at times--doesn't always want to be held too tightly and will cower at sudden movement. But little by little she is becoming the basenji she deserves to be.




It started with the little things, like sleeping under the covers, ripping up toilet paper and digging in trash cans. As she grew stronger, the need for longer walks (though that is now curtailed with her heart problem). But recently I'm getting full-on basenji--and I smile all the time! She is countersurfing (as best her arthritic legs will allow) and finally, just last month, she started heat seeking--moving to my spot on the couch when I got up--and wanting to be in the highest place in the room. I sometimes confuse her with my non-BRAT basenji boy!




I am so proud of her. Time continues to make all the difference. I can't wait to see what's in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment