Monday, August 2, 2010

Update on Kell

Ok, this Kell is one thinking, stubborn, silly and infuriating Basenji boy!! He has decided all books must be shredded -- I have already bought one from the library. He has been sitting on our bed studying my desk, he has pulled things off of it numerous times, and he is so very tall that it is hard to keep anything out of his reach. So we have distracted him or just called his name to get his attention off of the desk.

This morning as I was getting ready for work, I noticed him (in my mirror) doing the same stare at the desk. I called his name and he disappeared from the mirror, so I went back to putting on makeup until I heard a loud noise. Kell was standing in the middle of my desk, looking like he was not sure how he got there!

Last night he tried to broad jump over our coffee table in pursuit of the girls and he managed to land in the middle, slide across, and knock everything off of it. And then today, while I was at work (Thank you God), he waltzed into Duane's office, and while Duane was in his recliner, proceeded to pee on the dog bed. When Duane got up to put him outside, he started running through the house, stopping just out of Duane's reach to drop a poo off, all through the living room and dining room area. I don't think my ears would have survived Duane's comments, but I almost fell over laughing when he described this "afternoon exercise period."

This is only 2 days in the life of this B boy-- no wonder you have to be a very special type of person to love this breed. We love him dearly, but we were worn out! This evening he is being a very "good dog," because I guess he knows when he has pushed his humans to the limit. Gotta love em!

Dawn, El Campo, TX
Why I rescue: "Saving one dog will not change the world, but it will change the world for that one dog." Unknown

Dawn & the Pack: Cory, Rogue & Sidhe (Shaye) and newly added Kell. Waiting for us at the rainbow bridge: Gambit, Timi, Simon, Kidogo, Leia, Baron, Hilda, Tam, Aggie, Chubi, Wena, Lassie, Bozo, Black Magic, Frisky, Pancho, Hobo, Tramp, Wena.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my God! Thank the Lord that you and your husband are patient people. I can see the hilarity in the episodes but I can also see the frustration. The saving grace is that one day, Kell will be a well-behaved basenji.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God Kell found you!
    Poor Duane and yeah you can laugh because you were not there, he, he!
    You mentioned that staring thing that they do when they are trying to figure out the best approach to accomplish it, and can't you just see the wheels turning when they are doing that?
    You figure they are looking for attention with every annoying thing they do but could it be they are just so frustrated with life outside of the freedom they had in Africa and the jobs they had as hunters that they just can not help themselves.
    I wonder about it a lot and feel bad sometimes sure we take great care of them(at least most of us do)but think about the many animals that we capture and bring into captivity and how hard it is for them to survive. they are just not happy. Do you ever think that is what we have done with our beloved Basenjis? Just questioning...

    ReplyDelete