Friday, August 6, 2010

A Basenji By Any Other Name

They are The Children, The Munchkins, or as Eric refers to them, the Gremlins. Sometimes they are collectively, Two Small Dogs (an official title), or individually, my Puppy-Boy and my Puppy-Girl.

We like their given names, although we call them by name only part of the time. The rest of the time, Ivan and Dasa are referred to by nicknames, terms of endearment, and by indirect titles or honorifics which refer to The Munchkins as a collective and also indicate their status. (If you have any doubts about their status, ask Ivan.)

We had many nicknames and terms of endearment for Reno, but he was most often Reno Bambino or The Crown Prince, a sobriquet some friends used more often than his name. Leo was simply Little Leo or sweet little Leo.

I can’t remember how or why Dasa got her nickname Doodle. It could be because I chirp little phrases such as “Ivanhoe I love you so. Dasa-Do I love you too,” when I see them being cute, which is practically every time they enter the room, yawn, stretch, etc. Doodle just suits her, and Dasa doesn’t seem to mind it, although I think she responds to her original name a tad more quickly. However, she responds to “Chicken!” with far more speed and enthusiasm than any mention of her name warrants.

Ivan is my sweetheart, my lovey, my baby boy, my little pumpkin. A friend refers to her small poodle as “Chou Chou” a French endearment that means little cabbage so, in turn, I began calling Ivan and Dasa my little pumpkins.

On more than one occasion I’ve called to get Eric’s attention, “Hey, Sweetie,” and Ivan comes trotting up to me. He knows he’s Sweetie too. Of course, this never fails to charm me; I’m so delighted my Ivan Puppy knows he’s my sweetie.

Rarely, if ever are The Munchkins referred to simply as dogs. I have nothing against dogs. In fact, I'm generally quite fond of dogs. However, at our house, this term does not accurately express the significance and importance held by Ivan and Dasa. When I leave work at noon to “feed Two Small Dogs,” I might as well say I’m going to provide nourishment for royalty. The Two Small Dogs certainly think so.

4 comments:

  1. Ours always seem to get nicknames too, Timi, at the the Bridge, was Timi Toes as she was forever using her toes to get into trouble to get our attention. Cory, is Cor Cor, not sure how that developed. Sidhe (Shaye) is Sidhe Bird, again not sure, Kell is Kell Man, Kellie, Kell boy. I guess we do think of them as family and not just dogs, but we make sure they know who is head of the house (pack leader). Just love them all so much. And as a group it is "the babies" or "the critters".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is Avery, Aves, Princess Avery, Princess, sweet girl, baby girl... and of course, when being spoken about to my friends, she's just "MY girl" And she knows all her names...just uses her selective hearing to decide whether or not she wants to answer me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Doodle too! My Kirby has become Kirby Doodle (I think because of his curly little tail) and my girl has morphed from Saana into Saana Scamperpants - if you have ever seen her run, you would understand! Like Ivan & Dasa, Kirby also responds to pumpkin, punkin, bubba, bahbah, doodle boy, and mama's boy! Saana, being the proper basenji lady she is responds to her name, sister, sissy, and ANYTHING my husband says to her! She loves him to death. Great post, Peggy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrific post! Around here nicknames evolve so fast that my husband--who's in the military and often away--can't keep track. Dan is still teased about a call home that one trooper overheard: "OK, who the HECK is Miss SniffyWiggleBum and what have you done with The PooLaOoh?"

    ReplyDelete