Monday, May 24, 2010

Basenjis, and Bringing Up Baby

One of the big concerns that many people have when considering adopting a basenji is whether or not the dog is a good match for a family with small children. But what about bringing a baby into a home with a resident basenji? One of the major reasons given for giving up a family dog is that there is a new baby in the family.



As a new mother, this has been something I have spent a lot of time talking about with other basenji owners. I always say that my first baby is four-legged, and I can't imagine giving up my basenji. But unfortunately, it's not so simple an equation...


In the year since I have have been a [human] mom, we have had plenty of challenges, as we juggled between having kids and having these special dogs. For a long while, we dealt with a geriatric basenji whose incontinence was a major concern for a household with a baby who was about to start crawling. Although our old Mr. Calvin has passed over to the Rainbow Bridge months ago, our next concern was whether our 7 year old basenji would ever be compatible with our toddler.


Most of the times, it's great. The two boys have established a great food oriented relationship. On more than one occassion, I have found my 13 month old feeding the dog all sorts of food. He feeds the basenji when mom isn't looking. He feeds him when she is. Food that falls to the floor is always gobbled up. Momma is thrilled that there is no mess. On the surface, everything is in perfect harmony.





But then come the bad times. When the toddler approaches the dog without food in hand. That's when there's a warning. The basenji shows his teeth, and grumbles. He wants to move out of the way. Baby wants to play, but the basenji doesn't. There are the growls, and, when baby is faster than momma, the terrifying times when the basenji snaps at the toddler.

As a mother I am terrified of it going just a little too far. My husband and I talk about giving the dog up. But at what point could I even consider finding my first baby a new home? At least there's BRAT... but then I banish the thought from my mind, until the next growl happens.


We've set up baby gates to separate the two boys as much as possible. But how many baby gates can really keep a basenji out? And for how long can we keep the dog in one or two rooms of the house?



It's hard to be on the other side of the rescue fence, considering those hard decisions. I hope I never have to get to the point where we have to make those decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Colleen Pelar is an excellent resource for Living with Kids and Dogs - http://www.livingwithkidsanddogs.com/index.html. We trained with her since our basenji is leash aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An article I wrote in '04 that was originally published in the BCOA Bulletin, and has been republished in multiple venues since... FWIW!

    http://www.newworldbasenjis.net/BringingUpBabiesArticle.htm

    ReplyDelete