Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Is There a Golden Rule for Transport?

As I become more involved with BRAT, I have had the pleasure of playing more roles as a volunteer and having fun meeting more basenjis and their families. To date I have done two transports. Fortunately both of them -- Gracie (who is now living the good life in her forever home up in Seattle) and Chief (whom I took from San Francisco to Davis a couple of weeks ago) -- were a perfect little lady and mild-mannered gentleman respectively.

Transporting these two was easy because I knew a fair amount about them in advance and felt confident that I could move them without having them put in a crate. The comfort level of both in a crate was an unknown, but I also wanted to make sure that they didn't distract me from driving. I decided to use the same method I use with my basenji girl Bow -- attaching the leash to the back, clasped seat belt so they are secured but can move about enough to avoid feeling restrained. In both cases, they stirred around the car during the first 10-12 minutes but were soon sleeping soundly in the passenger seat beside me. In both cases the only time they tried to get in my lap was when we stopped at a toll booth. That rolled down window and a new person offering a hand to take money (you never know, it might be a treat, I am sure they thought) was too tempting.

I'd appreciate tips from those who've done more transports since I know not every basenji will be as easy as Gracie and Chief. I certainly don't want to compromise our safety with a stressed out dog as I maneuver the S-curve of the East Bay Bridge which is challenging enough without a basenji pawing at the steering wheel.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gregg! We fostered Gracie in Vegas! You are very lucky with her, she is a GREAT traveler, however our other B's do not travel as well. We use Roadies, they are dog seatbelts/harnesses. I found them at Pet Smart and range in price from $16-24.00 depeding on th girth of your traveler:) They work wonders, your travelers can look out the windows and still remain safely out our your lap, this is why we got the harness in the first place. ALL of them wanted to sit in the driver seat! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete