Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Basenji Massage

My mum is a Certified Canine Massage Therapist. My basenji, Kipper, loves to get massages from her.











Massaging your dog:

  • Increases his circulation, flexibility, and range of motion
  • Improves his athletic performance
  • Enhances his muscle tone
  • Promotos rapid healing
  • Reduces his stress and tension
  • Releases his endorphins
  • Alleviates muscle spasms
  • Prevents atrophy in inactive muscles
  • Promotes good posture and body balance

5 comments:

  1. This is great information! Do you have any tips on how to massage a basenji, or the best areas of the dog to begin with? I'm quite sure my dogs would enjoy it very much if I were to give them a massage :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guys like their shoulders massaged and their sacrum, right above (below?) their tails. If you look at the top picture, right behind her left hand. Also the middle two pictures are good spots.
    Stephanie Jones, sAMP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did she learn this? I love massages and I'm sure my pups would, too. My massage therapist says that "to massage" means "to live". I believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen: As far as tips go, you should always start at the dog's head and work your way down the rest of his body. Kip's favorite massage area is his neck, and your dogs might like it too. When you massage a dog's neck, use a stroke called "jostling", where you put both of your hands on his neck and rock them back and forth with slight pressure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: She took a home-study course through Equissage. It took her about 6 months to earn her certificate, and she says it was relatively easy, and definetely worth it!

    ReplyDelete