Thursday, February 11, 2010

Patience pays off

Patience pays off. Roxy, my BRAT, has been with me 14 months--first as a foster, then as mine forever. She was so reserved, scared of her own shadow, when she first came to my home. She trusted no one. She has made amazing progress. So now I relish in how "basenji" she becomes each passing day.

I love to make fires and though Louisiana will never compare to the cold of true north, they are nonstop in my home when it hits 50 degrees. Roxy loves the fires. She has now trained me to make her a fire each morning before I leave for work. Should I forget, she sits on her pillow in front of the fireplace and stares up at me with that basenji stare that says, Well...what are you waiting for? (Don't worry; there are other humans at home all day; the fire is attended.)

She has also started counter surfing and nipping at my shin when she wants my attention. And of course, the obligatory tissue paper attacks and B-500s...

You may think I'm horrible for letting Roxy get away with all of this. You may think I should temper her behavior. I make no apologies. I know nothing of her life before me, but I do know what she was when she came to me. And with each passing day, she opens up and lets me see her true personality. She trusts me now; she knows she's safe.

How do I know this? For only the third time since I've had her, she barooed this week when I came home from work. She did her little wiggle dance. I live for these moments. Patience pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment