Sunday, December 20, 2009

Happy Birthday, Roxy

One year ago today, I brought Roxy into my home to foster. Knowing nothing of her history, I gave her December 20 as her birthday--for it was the beginning of a new life for her. She had been living on the streets for some time. She was my first foster and I was eager to provide a structured and caring environment. With the support of BRAT, we successfully treated her heartworm, and I began the long process of helping her understand she was safe. It took a while. Roxy's eyes truly are the window to her soul and I didn't see a light shine from those eyes for several months.

I began readying her for adoption. She is an older dog, perhaps eight or nine years old when she came to live with me. She was underweight and her spiky hair reflected her poor nutrition. But beneath that scruffy exterior, it was apparent that she was gentle, kind and obedient, and she only wanted to please.

I knew an older dog might be more difficult to place. I began a blog so that interested adopters could read the story of her sweet spirit and incredible resilience. On more than one occasion I wrote that somewhere someone's heart was getting ready to love Roxy. Five months into our journey, she was ready to be posted to the BRAT website. I was certain that the right home was out there and ready to adopt her.

Then she barooed. For the first time ever. She barooed the next day. The only two times she has ever done it. My heart melted. And I realized that the heart getting ready to love her the whole time was mine. On Mother's Day 2009, I adopted her. So today we will celebrate her first birthday. She may have been given a new birthday, but I got the gift. I can't imagine life without her. Happy Birthday, Roxy.

3 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, dear Roxy, and may you have many, many more!

    (Wow, does your mom love you!)

    Chey & Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great story, and a very special little dog! It makes me happy to see that she is so loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at 'Baroo'

    Happy Birthday Roxy! A lady never tells her age anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete