Saturday, July 25, 2009

Always amazed

Today was a cooler one in Baton Rouge. It's been over 90 for the past few weeks with a heat index in the 100s. It's also the first weekend where I decided I was strong enough since surgery to take the babies to the dog park. Basenji lovers can imagine the household when I announced we were going to the park. I had all the help I needed finding the leashes and my way to the door...As if I could forget my way to the garage and the car!

The ride there was interminable for the babies. I know in their basenji brains they were wondering why I couldn't teleport to the park. After all it's been a month! Joy unbounded; lots of running and sniffing and marking; lots of greeting all the other dogs; regular perimeter searches to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be.

As I sat on the bench watching them play, I was struck by how difficult it is to now determine who is who from afar. Roxy, my adopted BRAT basenji, has come so far in the seven months I've had her.

I want to share these before and after pictures because I am always amazed that from that first December night to now, the transformation that Roxy has undergone. Trust, happiness, resilience, and that precious smile are my daily gifts. Another great basenji day.

1 comment:

  1. Incredible, it does not look like the same dog, she is beautiful

    ReplyDelete